If you are an international MBA, and the alumnus in your Country is not available for a one on one interview, it is likely that you have to attend the interview via Skype. The moment we bring in technology, the seriousness, and the preparation required for the interview goes down. Here are some best practices that MBA Aspirants have to follow while preparing for Skype Interview.
1) Dress Code
Although Skype is an online tool for communication, the nature of the interview does not change - just the medium is different. This means that MBA Aspirants have to approach Skype Interviews with the same seriousness with which they would attend a one-on-one personal interview.
Men: No Jeans and T-shirt, No Jewelry except watch
Women: No revealing outfits. No Jeans and T-shirt. Minimal Jewelry
The skype interview might be taking place at your home or office, but still make sure that you are appropriately dressed.
In online communication tools like Skype, lighting is an integral part of creating the right environment for the interview. Make sure that the lighting in your room is appropriate and the person communicating with you can see your expression. Test an interview session with a friend or a family member.
Reflection is an important factor that needs to be considered while lighting a room. The light source should be ideally on the same side of the camera clearly falling on the object – in this case, the interviewee.
3) Sound Check
Another integral part of the environment required for Interview is Sound. Make sure that you have connected the mic, and checked the connection speed. There are several tools available online, and skype has a recording service that allows you to record a call, and hear it back. Make sure that your sound is audible without any disturbances.
4) Internet Connection
Although this scenario can rarely occur, make sure that you have another Internet connection ready in case your primary connection goes down. Although Skype interviews can be scheduled, the time available for the interviewer is limited, and re-scheduling can mean, lot of extra emails and telephone calls.
Although you can’t script the interview process, make sure that you have gone through the standard interview questions asked in Harvard, Stanford, Insead, Booth and Wharton MBA Admissions Interview. Also, record the answers to the standard questions, and hear it back. You will have a clear understanding on the tone, speed, and promptness of the replies. Fine tune your answers till you find the right balance.
6) Be Alert
The interview process can be a pleasant experience if you smile, and answer the questions confidently. Be mentally alert to answer follow up questions, and questions that are not generally covered in major Business Schools.
7) Plan for Worst Case Scenarios
Even if you have prepared well, the environment or other technical glitches can delay or hamper the interview. Make sure that you have a backup plan for each of these scenarios.
For tips on answering the most commonly asked questions in MBA Admission Interview, Download F1GMAT's MBA Admission Interview Guide
1) Booth School of Business
2) Columbia Business School
3) Ivey Business School
4) Johnson Graduate School of Management
6) Kellogg School of Management
7) Stanford Graduate School of Business
8) London Business School
9) Harvard Business School
10) MIT Sloan School of Management
11) Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania (Team Discussion Strategy + Interview Tips)
2. How to do Gap Analysis for MBA Admission Interview Preparation?
3. 5 Conversation Plan for MBA Admission Interview
4. Focus on the Interaction
5. How can you control First Impression in MBA Admission Interview
6. How to improve likeability in MBA Admissions Interview
7. Avoid these 4 Handshakes
8. How to highlight Personal, Cultural, and Academic Dimensions of your personality
9. What motivates an Interviewer?
10. How to Fine Tune your answers according to MBA Admission Interviewer's Personality Type
11. How to answer the “Tell us about yourself” introductory question?
12. How to answer Walk me through your resume?
13. 5 Follow-up questions to expect
14. What is the greatest accomplishment in your professional career?
15. What is your leadership style?
16. How would you contribute at the School Community
17. What is the most difficult obstacle you overcame?
18. Are you a Creative Person?
19. How do you define Success?
20. How to answer about Innovative Solutions?
21. Answering Frequent Job Switch
22. How did you Handle Conflict?
23. How did you manage Change?
24. Give an Example of an Ethical Dilemma you faced. How did you handle it?
25. Answering Greatest Accomplishment
26. How did you Handle a Difficult Boss?
27.Tell me a time when you made a Mistake. What did you learn from it?
28. How to summarize your Career?
29. How to explain low grades?
30. How to answer Scenario Questions?
31. How to answer the Backup Plan Question
32. How to discuss about Industry Experience & your Role?
33. What Questions should you ask the AdCom after an MBA Admissions Interview?
34. 7 Things to Consider for Skype MBA Admission Interviews
35. 5 Must Read MBA Admission Telephonic Interview Tips