The phrase “Greatest Accomplishment” is intimidating, and you start searching for the extra-ordinary - the one achievement that is comparable with what other candidates have achieved. This approach is wrong. Instead, shortlist the achievement where you had to learn a lot, work with diverse personalities, and in the end achieved your objective despite a limited budget and time.
Avoid the Trivial
Trivial achievements are tasks, not projects. For any substantial accomplishment, you should demonstrate continuous performance at a professional level. Going beyond the expectation, and completing a task –a report, working late for one or two days to meet a new client requirement, or spotting critical errors in a project seem worth mentioning in a job appraisal form, but in MBA Admissions, you are competing with some of the best and ambitious minds from around the world. Stakes are high and how you answer this question confirm whatever you have written in the MBA application essays. No matter how much you polish your essays with essay guides and expert consulting, interviews reveal the truth.
Find Relevant Accomplishment
It is also important how you frame the answer, here are some tips that would useful for your Greatest Accomplishment question:
1) What change in behavior helped you with the accomplishment
Most of us, when trying to accomplish a challenging project, will face roadblocks that require a change in behavior from our side. It can be a new approach to solve the problem, bringing in expertise in a job function, or communicating with the team and understanding the underlying problem in detail. It might even involve looking at the problem from a different context.
For example, ....
The above post is an Excerpt from MBA Admission Interview Guide
Testimonial - MBA Admission Interview Guide
Since MIT and many other Top Business Schools have put a lot of emphasis on behavioral questions, it is important to know what messages you want to convey with each question. F1GMAT’s Interview Guide gave me a clear framework to discuss questions related to conflict management, failure, achievements and goals. The guide also covers etiquette and proper body language." - India/Japan (MIT Sloan MBA Candidate)
"I bought three interview guides from so called 'Experts'. Nothing comes close to what F1GMAT has written." - US (Chicago Booth Candidate)
"The guide teaches you how to control first impression. A concept that I tested during my interview." - US (Harvard MBA Candidate)
1) Booth School of Business
2) Columbia Business School
3) Ivey Business School
4) Johnson Graduate School of Management
6) Kellogg School of Management
7) Stanford Graduate School of Business
8) London Business School
9) Harvard Business School
10) MIT Sloan School of Management
11) Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania (Team Discussion Strategy + Interview Tips)
2. How to do Gap Analysis for MBA Admission Interview Preparation?
3. 5 Conversation Plan for MBA Admission Interview
4. Focus on the Interaction
5. How can you control First Impression in MBA Admission Interview
6. How to improve likeability in MBA Admissions Interview
7. Avoid these 4 Handshakes
8. How to highlight Personal, Cultural, and Academic Dimensions of your personality
9. What motivates an Interviewer?
10. How to Fine Tune your answers according to MBA Admission Interviewer's Personality Type
11. How to answer the “Tell us about yourself” introductory question?
12. How to answer Walk me through your resume?
13. 5 Follow-up questions to expect
14. What is the greatest accomplishment in your professional career?
15. What is your leadership style?
16. How would you contribute at the School Community
17. What is the most difficult obstacle you overcame?
18. Are you a Creative Person?
19. How do you define Success?
20. How to answer about Innovative Solutions?
21. Answering Frequent Job Switch
22. How did you Handle Conflict?
23. How did you manage Change?
24. Give an Example of an Ethical Dilemma you faced. How did you handle it?
25. Answering Greatest Accomplishment
26. How did you Handle a Difficult Boss?
27.Tell me a time when you made a Mistake. What did you learn from it?
28. How to summarize your Career?
29. How to explain low grades?
30. How to answer Scenario Questions?
31. How to answer the Backup Plan Question
32. How to discuss about Industry Experience & your Role?
33. What Questions should you ask the AdCom after an MBA Admissions Interview?
34. 7 Things to Consider for Skype MBA Admission Interviews
35. 5 Must Read MBA Admission Telephonic Interview Tips