Ivey MBA Admission Interviews are by invitation only. The Admission team prefer interviews in-person. It can be during recruiting trips internationally or in Canada, or during campus visit. For candidates who don’t have the opportunity to attend in-person interview, a Skype interview will be conducted.
Interview Conducted by: Admissions and Career Service Team
Duration: 45 minutes - 1 hour
Rounds: 1 -2
Style of Interview: Friendly and Conversational
Skills and Traits tested in the Interview
1) Ability to articulate and structure thoughts and ideas clearly and articulately
2) Clarity and focus of personal career goals (both short-term and long-term) and how the MBA fits into these plans
3) Self-awareness and confidence
4) Ability to identify the contributions that he/she will bring to the classroom and Ivey experience
5) An understanding of the business market and current events
Dos - Ivey MBA Admission Interview
Tip 1: Be Ready with Career Goals Question
A greater part of the interview will emphasize your Post-MBA career goals. The interviewer will try to evaluate how your experience and MBA will help you achieve your post-MBA goals. The answers should be articulated logically in a clear and confident manner.
Tip 2: Be Ready with the Contribution to Ivey MBA Community Question
You should be prepared to answer this crucial question - How will you contribute to the Ivey MBA Class (In-Class, Extracurricular, Clubs and as an Alumni). The MBA Admissions team want candidates who would be brand ambassadors for their MBA program.
Tip 3: Develop a deeper understanding of your Industry
The Admissions team wants to know your expertise in the chosen industry. Read all you can about your industry – trends, weakness, history and what you see in the future. The answer would seem more articulate if you have some statistics to back it up.
Tip 4: Be Confident
Richard Ivey School of Business values confidence and self-awareness. Whatever you are answering, maintain a confident tone. Awareness about your weakness and strengths is crucial for MBA Admissions.
Don’ts - Ivey MBA Admission Interview
Tip 1: Do not dress in casuals
Although the interview is conversational and friendly, do not dress in casuals.
Men: Suit and tie
Women: Pants, Suit or a skirt suit
Note: Even if it is a Skype Interview, dress formally.
Here are the 97 Questions that you are likely to face in the interview
For Complete Dos and Dont's for Ivey MBA Admission Interview, Download MBA Admission Interview Guide
Testimonial - MBA Admission Interview Guide
"Having failed to clear two interviews, I finally purchased F1GMAT's MBA Admission interview guide. The common mistakes mentioned in the book resonated with my experience. It is an enjoyable read, but to get most of this book, you have to read the following chapters, at least twice:
How to do Gap Analysis for MBA Admission Interview Preparation?
Focus on the Interaction
How can you control First Impression in MBA Admission Interview
How to improve likeability in MBA Admissions Interview
How to answer the Backup Plan Question
I have used F1GMAT's Essay Review Service for two schools. The interview guide is a special book. Would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking to cross the final hurdle. " - Accepted to Harvard MBA with Scholarship
Download MBA Admission Interview Guide
1) Booth School of Business
2) Columbia Business School
3) Ivey Business School
4) Johnson Graduate School of Management
6) Kellogg School of Management
7) Stanford Graduate School of Business
8) London Business School
9) Harvard Business School
10) MIT Sloan School of Management
11) Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania (Team Discussion Strategy + Interview Tips)
2. How to do Gap Analysis for MBA Admission Interview Preparation?
3. 5 Conversation Plan for MBA Admission Interview
4. Focus on the Interaction
5. How can you control First Impression in MBA Admission Interview
6. How to improve likeability in MBA Admissions Interview
7. Avoid these 4 Handshakes
8. How to highlight Personal, Cultural, and Academic Dimensions of your personality
9. What motivates an Interviewer?
10. How to Fine Tune your answers according to MBA Admission Interviewer's Personality Type
11. How to answer the “Tell us about yourself” introductory question?
12. How to answer Walk me through your resume?
13. 5 Follow-up questions to expect
14. What is the greatest accomplishment in your professional career?
15. What is your leadership style?
16. How would you contribute at the School Community
17. What is the most difficult obstacle you overcame?
18. Are you a Creative Person?
19. How do you define Success?
20. How to answer about Innovative Solutions?
21. Answering Frequent Job Switch
22. How did you Handle Conflict?
23. How did you manage Change?
24. Give an Example of an Ethical Dilemma you faced. How did you handle it?
25. Answering Greatest Accomplishment
26. How did you Handle a Difficult Boss?
27.Tell me a time when you made a Mistake. What did you learn from it?
28. How to summarize your Career?
29. How to explain low grades?
30. How to answer Scenario Questions?
31. How to answer the Backup Plan Question
32. How to discuss about Industry Experience & your Role?
33. What Questions should you ask the AdCom after an MBA Admissions Interview?
34. 7 Things to Consider for Skype MBA Admission Interviews
35. 5 Must Read MBA Admission Telephonic Interview Tips