Essay 3: CBS Matters, a key element of the School’s culture, allows the people in your Cluster to learn more about you on a personal level. What will your Clustermates be pleasantly surprised to learn about you? (100-250 words)
Imagine that you are chosen for Columbia MBA. The GPA and GMAT scores were good, your essays proved demonstrable career progression, and your communication skills were at par with the students, but when the time came to interact and contribute for the learning cluster, a visible shield prevented you from opening up. You fear that your experience might be too trivial for the team, or it is better to listen than contribute.
The Columbia MBA admission team prefers candidates who are not only aware of their weakness but works actively to bridge the skill gap. If you are too afraid to share your worldview, from the fear that others in the learning cluster might know more than you do about the case, the opportunity to engage in meaningful learning experiences will be limited.
CBS Matters is a form of opening up on a personal level. Package your story in these two templates:
This is the most commonly cited personal level experience. You experience a personal tragedy or financial setback because of X or Y. When you were in a position to help your community or individual, you set up an organization Z or lead that organization to provide X or Y to the people who had gone through similar experience. Education is a common theme here.
Keep Reading Columbia MBA Essay #3 Tips
F1GMAT's Columbia MBA Essay Guide will show you:
1) How to create the 51-character post-MBA professional goal using Facebook’s mission statement as a starting point
2) How to use the 5 Step Process to write about Post-MBA Career Goals
3) How to write about long-term career goals connecting your pre-MBA experience and short-term career goals
4) How to Quote New York's Economy and match it with your post-MBA career path
5) How to write about Immersion Seminars and Master Class
6) How to use Internship and Full-time Jobs data for your Essay
Sample Columbia MBA Essay 2: New York for Marketing Professionals (244 Words)
Sample Columbia MBA Essay #3 - Team Failure (Marketing Lead) (242 Words)
Sample Columbia MBA Essay #3 - Team Failure (Technology – Engineering Lead) (248 Words)
Sample Columbia MBA Essay #3 - Team Failure (Pharma – Product Manager) (244 Words)