With GMAT Main Idea question, the test makers wants to understand how good you are in getting to the gist of the passage. The best strategies to follow are:
1) Don't get lost in the details
The most common mistake GMAT test takers make is taking the time to read the entire passage in detail and trying to understand every miniscule fact mentioned in the passage. This approach is counterproductive. Skip through the details and focus on the intent.
2) Summarize each paragraph
Once you have read the paragraphs, summarize each of them . The summary of each paragraph should cover the central idea of the paragraph.
3) Paraphrase the main summary
Try to paraphrase the main summary from the summaries of each paragraph. Sometimes the main idea is explicitly mentioned in one of the summaries and sometimes it would be hidden in the summaries.
4) Eliminate and Select
Now go through each answer options and eliminate options that are irrelevant, out of scope or that tries to generalize or...
Essential GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide
After you read F1GMAT’s Essential GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide, you will:
1. Complete GMAT RC Questions in less than 1 minute and 50 seconds
2. Read Faster
3. Take Notes Effectively
4. Collect and Interpret Facts
5. Speed up Summary Creation
6. Remember Information
7. Question the Author
8. Learn to answer GMAT Reading Comprehension Title question
9. Learn to Solve GMAT Reading Comprehension Main Idea Question
10.Learn to Solve GMAT Reading comprehension inference question
11. Learn to Solve GMAT Reading Comprehension Detail Questions
12. Learn to Organize passage in GMAT Reading Comprehension
13. Learn to Identify style/tone or attitude of the author
14. Learn to Improve GMAT Reading Comprehension Score
Download Essential GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide
Mastering GMAT Critical Reasoning
After you read F1GMAT’s Mastering GMAT Critical Reasoning Guide, you will:
1) Learn to eliminate out of scope answer choices
2) Learn to spot logical fallacies
3) Learn to read questions by focusing on the holy trinity – premise, assumption, and conclusion.
4) Learn to disregard filler information
5) Complete GMAT CR Questions in less than 1 minute and 40 seconds
Download Mastering GMAT Critical Reasoning