A man working for 8 hours a day can complete a job in 12 days. He is paid a sum of $150 per day. Three women work as efficiently as two men, but are paid a sum of $10 per hour. A contractor needs to finish the job in 6 days. He has to decide between employing men or women. How much money will he save, if he employs women to do the job instead of men?
Solution: The trick to solve Work related questions is to try and equate the amount of work done by the two set of people, to arrive at a common point for the duration of work to be completed.
A man can finish the work in 12 days
Therefore, two men can finish the same piece of work in 6 days.
Three women work as efficiently as two men, thus, three women can complete the piece of work in 6 days.
Amount to be paid to two men for 6 days = 2 * 6 * $150 = $1800
Amount to be paid to three women for 6 days = 3 * 8 * 6 * $10 = $ 1440
Amount of money saved, if women are employed = $ 1800 - $ 1440 = $360
Correct Answer: C
About the Author
GyanOne is an educational services firm focused on premium GMAT coaching, application advisory (with a focus on ISB applications), and interview preparation for B-school admissions. GyanOne operates in the New Delhi region of India and has top global B-school alumni with a minimum score of 770 on the GMAT, as instructors. All GyanOne counsellors are professionally trained top B-school alumni with an experience of 100+ MBA applications behind them.
Essential GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide
After you read F1GMAT’s Essential GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide, you will:
1. Complete GMAT RC Questions in less than 1 minute and 50 seconds
2. Read Faster
3. Take Notes Effectively
4. Collect and Interpret Facts
5. Speed up Summary Creation
6. Remember Information
7. Question the Author
8. Learn to answer GMAT Reading Comprehension Title question
9. Learn to Solve GMAT Reading Comprehension Main Idea Question
10.Learn to Solve GMAT Reading comprehension inference question
11. Learn to Solve GMAT Reading Comprehension Detail Questions
12. Learn to Organize passage in GMAT Reading Comprehension
13. Learn to Identify style/tone or attitude of the author
14. Learn to Improve GMAT Reading Comprehension Score
Download Essential GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide
Mastering GMAT Critical Reasoning
After you read F1GMAT’s Mastering GMAT Critical Reasoning Guide, you will:
1) Learn to eliminate out of scope answer choices
2) Learn to spot logical fallacies
3) Learn to read questions by focusing on the holy trinity – premise, assumption, and conclusion.
4) Learn to disregard filler information
5) Complete GMAT CR Questions in less than 1 minute and 40 seconds
Download Mastering GMAT Critical Reasoning