John and Walter have their incomes in the ratio 7 : 5. The expenses of John, Walter and Nancy are in the ratio 9 : 7 : 4. If Nancy spends $2800 and Walter saves $1100, how much is John’s saving is?
Solution: There is some common element hidden in these type questions pertaining to Ratio and Proportion. If you can find that out, the rest of the solution is a cakewalk.
Let the expenses of John, Walter and Nancy be 9y, 7y and 4y respectively.
Thus, 4y = 2800
=> y = 700
Now, let the incomes of John and Walter be 7x and 5x respectively.
Equation(1)…………Income – Expense = Saving
Plugging in values for Walter,
5x – 7y = 1100
=> 5x – 7*700 = 1100
=> 5x = 1100 + 4900
=> 5x = 6000
=> x = 1200
Plugging in values for John, we get,
7x – 9y = Saving
7*120 – 9*700
=> 8400 – 6300
Thus, John’s saving is $2100
Correct Answer: B
About the Author
GyanOne is an educational services firm focused on premium GMAT coaching, application advisory (with a focus on ISB applications), and interview preparation for B-school admissions. GyanOne operates in the New Delhi region of India and has top global B-school alumni with a minimum score of 770 on the GMAT, as instructors. All GyanOne counsellors are professionally trained top B-school alumni with an experience of 100+ MBA applications behind them.
Essential GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide
After you read F1GMAT’s Essential GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide, you will:
1. Complete GMAT RC Questions in less than 1 minute and 50 seconds
2. Read Faster
3. Take Notes Effectively
4. Collect and Interpret Facts
5. Speed up Summary Creation
6. Remember Information
7. Question the Author
8. Learn to answer GMAT Reading Comprehension Title question
9. Learn to Solve GMAT Reading Comprehension Main Idea Question
10.Learn to Solve GMAT Reading comprehension inference question
11. Learn to Solve GMAT Reading Comprehension Detail Questions
12. Learn to Organize passage in GMAT Reading Comprehension
13. Learn to Identify style/tone or attitude of the author
14. Learn to Improve GMAT Reading Comprehension Score
Download Essential GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide
Mastering GMAT Critical Reasoning
After you read F1GMAT’s Mastering GMAT Critical Reasoning Guide, you will:
1) Learn to eliminate out of scope answer choices
2) Learn to spot logical fallacies
3) Learn to read questions by focusing on the holy trinity – premise, assumption, and conclusion.
4) Learn to disregard filler information
5) Complete GMAT CR Questions in less than 1 minute and 40 seconds
Download Mastering GMAT Critical Reasoning