Work problem is another common topic tested during GMAT . About 2-4 questions are asked from this topic. Work is a specific task assigned to one or more persons that are required to be completed in 'n' amount of time.
Here n is represented as days.
Suppose Jim works for N days then he can do 1/N of the work in 1 day
Suppose Tim work for M days then he can do 1/M of the work in 1 day
Now if Jim and Tim works together for 1 day then they can do ( 1/N + 1/M ) work in 1 day
So in 1 day then can do (M+N)/M*N
Now lets plug in some real numbers
In 1 day Jim and Tim can do 30/200 of the total work, represented as (30/200 )* W
where 'W' is the total work.
(30/200) x w = 1 day
So W will be completed in (1 * 200)/30 days
Note :This is the reciprocal of the fraction of work that is completed in 1 day
The work problems involves multiple workers working for many days. In these scenarios remember the formula
Work Done = W/(M*D*H)
Where W is the total work done , M is the number of men involved in the work , D is the number of days to complete the work and H the number of hours put in by the workers.
Q: 15 men working 4 hours a day can completely build a swimming pool with length 100 meters, breadth 50 meters and height 10 meters in 10 days. How many days will 25 men working 10 hours a day required to build a swimming pool with length 50 meters ,breadth 25 meters and height 5 meters.
Solution :This problem can be directly solved using the formula mentioned above.
Only thing to note here is that W = Volume of the swimming pool that is being created
15 men 4 hours/day 10 days -------> W = 100*50*10
25 men 10 hours/day n days -------> W = 50*25*5
Now equating using the formula W/(M*D*H) we can write
(100*50*10)/(15*10*4) = (50*25*5)/(25*10*n)
n = 3/10 days
Therefore the total number of days to complete a swimming pool with length 50 meters ,breadth 25 meters and height 5 meters is 0.3 days(3/10)
Essential GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide
After you read F1GMAT’s Essential GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide, you will:
1. Complete GMAT RC Questions in less than 1 minute and 50 seconds
2. Read Faster
3. Take Notes Effectively
4. Collect and Interpret Facts
5. Speed up Summary Creation
6. Remember Information
7. Question the Author
8. Learn to answer GMAT Reading Comprehension Title question
9. Learn to Solve GMAT Reading Comprehension Main Idea Question
10.Learn to Solve GMAT Reading comprehension inference question
11. Learn to Solve GMAT Reading Comprehension Detail Questions
12. Learn to Organize passage in GMAT Reading Comprehension
13. Learn to Identify style/tone or attitude of the author
14. Learn to Improve GMAT Reading Comprehension Score
Download Essential GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide
Mastering GMAT Critical Reasoning
After you read F1GMAT’s Mastering GMAT Critical Reasoning Guide, you will:
1) Learn to eliminate out of scope answer choices
2) Learn to spot logical fallacies
3) Learn to read questions by focusing on the holy trinity – premise, assumption, and conclusion.
4) Learn to disregard filler information
5) Complete GMAT CR Questions in less than 1 minute and 40 seconds
Download Mastering GMAT Critical Reasoning