Car A, travelling at 60kmph leaves City X for City Y at 5pm. Car B leaves city X for City Y at 7pm and travels at 100 kmph. When will Car B overtake Car A?
A) 9:45 p.m
B) 9:55 p.m
C) 10:00 p.m
D) 10:05 p.m
E) 7:55 p.m
Solution: Questions related to overtaking in Time Speed and Distance are considered one of the most confusing ones in Quant. However, there is a pretty simple method to follow for solving such questions. The step by step guide is as follows:
Step 1: Calculate the distance travelled by the vehicle that started early, by the time the second vehicle starts. Now that is the lag time that has to be covered by the vehicle starting late in order to overtake the first one.
Time elapsed between the start of Car A and B = 2 hours
Distance covered by Car A in 2 hours => Distance = Speed * Time
=> Distance = 60 * 2 = 120km
Step 2: Car B will overtake Car A as soon as it covers the distance of 120km, with the relative speed of both the cars.
Relative speed of Car A and Car B (moving in same direction)
= Speed of car B – Speed of Car A.
= 100 – 60
Step 3: Now Time taken by Car B to overtake Car A, with a relative speed of 40kmph
= 120 / 40
=> 3 hours
Thus Car B would overtake Car A after 3 hours from the time Car B started, i.e. at 10pm
About the Author
GyanOne is an educational services firm focused on premium GMAT coaching, application advisory (with a focus on ISB applications), and interview preparation for B-school admissions. GyanOne operates in the New Delhi region of India and has top global B-school alumni with a minimum score of 770 on the GMAT, as instructors. All GyanOne counsellors are professionally trained top B-school alumni with an experience of 100+ MBA applications behind them.
Essential GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide
After you read F1GMAT’s Essential GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide, you will:
1. Complete GMAT RC Questions in less than 1 minute and 50 seconds
2. Read Faster
3. Take Notes Effectively
4. Collect and Interpret Facts
5. Speed up Summary Creation
6. Remember Information
7. Question the Author
8. Learn to answer GMAT Reading Comprehension Title question
9. Learn to Solve GMAT Reading Comprehension Main Idea Question
10.Learn to Solve GMAT Reading comprehension inference question
11. Learn to Solve GMAT Reading Comprehension Detail Questions
12. Learn to Organize passage in GMAT Reading Comprehension
13. Learn to Identify style/tone or attitude of the author
14. Learn to Improve GMAT Reading Comprehension Score
Download Essential GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide
Mastering GMAT Critical Reasoning
After you read F1GMAT’s Mastering GMAT Critical Reasoning Guide, you will:
1) Learn to eliminate out of scope answer choices
2) Learn to spot logical fallacies
3) Learn to read questions by focusing on the holy trinity – premise, assumption, and conclusion.
4) Learn to disregard filler information
5) Complete GMAT CR Questions in less than 1 minute and 40 seconds
Download Mastering GMAT Critical Reasoning