X and Y, two computer engineers, built identical websites at different constant rates. X, working alone for 7 hours, built some of the website; then Y, working alone for 6 hours, built the rest of the website. How many hours would it have taken X, working alone, to build all of the website?
1. X built one part 15 minutes
2. X built four times as many parts in 7 hours as Y built in 6 hours
A. Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
B. Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
C. BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
D. EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
E. Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.
Statement 2 provides us with an equation relating the two rates: 7X = 4(6Y).
We can simplify this formula to get one rate in terms of the other. The first step is to calculate the expression on the right-hand side: 7X = 24Y.
Now divide both sides by 24: 7/24 X=Y.
Statement 2 is sufficient on its own.
Correct Answer B
Essential GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide
After reading F1GMAT’s Essential GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide, you will:
1. Complete GMAT RC Questions in less than 1 minute and 50 seconds
2. Read Faster
3. Take Notes Effectively
4. Collect and Interpret Facts
5. Speed up Summary Creation
6. Remember Information
7. Question the Author
8. Learn to Answer GMAT Reading Comprehension Title question
9. Learn to Answer GMAT Reading Comprehension Main Idea Question
Mastering GMAT Critical Reasoning
After you read F1GMAT’s Mastering GMAT Critical Reasoning Guide, you will learn:
How to overcome flawed thinking in GMAT Critical Reasoning?