If A has a total of 8 positive factors, including 1 and A, what is the value of A? Positive integer A has exactly 2 positive prime factors, 5 and 11.
1. 125 is a factor of P
2. 121 is not a factor of P
A.Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
B.Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
C.BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
D.EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
E.Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.
Answer: Statement 1 tells us that P is divisible by 125. Since the prompt is concerned with the
prime factors of P, it will help to rewrite 125 as 5^3. Since P is divisible by 5^3, it is also divisible by 5^2 and 5. At this point, we have all 8 of P's factors: 1, 5, 5^2, 5^3, 11, 11 × 5, 11 × 5^2, and 11 × 5^3. Since P is a factor of itself, we know that the largest of these 8 factors, 11 × 5^3, must be equal to P.
Statement 1 is sufficient.
Statement 2 tells us that P is not divisible by 121, which we can write as 11^2. Since P's
only prime factors are 5 and 11, and since 11^2 is not a factor of P, we know that the remaining factors must either have only 5 as a prime factor or else be the product of 11 and a number that has only 5 as a prime factor. If we now include 1, 5, and 11, we see that we have identified exactly 8 factors. Again, the largest factor, 5^3 × 11, must be equal to P.
Statement 2 is also sufficient.
Correct Answer: Choice D
Essential GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide
After you read F1GMAT’s Essential GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide, you will:
1. Complete GMAT RC Questions in less than 1 minute and 50 seconds
2. Read Faster
3. Take Notes Effectively
4. Collect and Interpret Facts
5. Speed up Summary Creation
6. Remember Information
7. Question the Author
8. Learn to answer GMAT Reading Comprehension Title question
9. Learn to Solve GMAT Reading Comprehension Main Idea Question
10.Learn to Solve GMAT Reading comprehension inference question
11. Learn to Solve GMAT Reading Comprehension Detail Questions
12. Learn to Organize passage in GMAT Reading Comprehension
13. Learn to Identify style/tone or attitude of the author
14. Learn to Improve GMAT Reading Comprehension Score
Download Essential GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide
Mastering GMAT Critical Reasoning
After you read F1GMAT’s Mastering GMAT Critical Reasoning Guide, you will:
1) Learn to eliminate out of scope answer choices
2) Learn to spot logical fallacies
3) Learn to read questions by focusing on the holy trinity – premise, assumption, and conclusion.
4) Learn to disregard filler information
5) Complete GMAT CR Questions in less than 1 minute and 40 seconds
Download Mastering GMAT Critical Reasoning