Salesmen and merchants, paths to India and China were opened by the Vikings without benefit of the compass or guns.
A. paths to India and China were opened by the Vikings without benefit of compasses or guns.
B. without the benefits of guns or compasses, paths to India and China were opened by the Vikings.
C. the Vikings opened paths to India and China without the benefit of guns or compasses.
D. there were opened, without the benefit of compasses and guns, paths to India and China.
E. were the Vikings who, without the benefit of compasses or guns, opened paths to India and China.
This sentence contains a misplaced modifier; explorers and merchants illogically modifies roads, when it should modify a type of person, in this case Vikings.
Choice C logically places the Vikings immediately after the modifying clause explorers and merchants.
Answer - Choice C
Essential GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide
After you read F1GMAT’s Essential GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide, you will:
1. Complete GMAT RC Questions in less than 1 minute and 50 seconds
2. Read Faster
3. Take Notes Effectively
4. Collect and Interpret Facts
5. Speed up Summary Creation
6. Remember Information
7. Question the Author
8. Learn to answer GMAT Reading Comprehension Title question
9. Learn to Solve GMAT Reading Comprehension Main Idea Question
10.Learn to Solve GMAT Reading comprehension inference question
11. Learn to Solve GMAT Reading Comprehension Detail Questions
12. Learn to Organize passage in GMAT Reading Comprehension
13. Learn to Identify style/tone or attitude of the author
14. Learn to Improve GMAT Reading Comprehension Score
Download Essential GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide
Mastering GMAT Critical Reasoning
After you read F1GMAT’s Mastering GMAT Critical Reasoning Guide, you will:
1) Learn to eliminate out of scope answer choices
2) Learn to spot logical fallacies
3) Learn to read questions by focusing on the holy trinity – premise, assumption, and conclusion.
4) Learn to disregard filler information
5) Complete GMAT CR Questions in less than 1 minute and 40 seconds
Download Mastering GMAT Critical Reasoning