This sample mba essay answers the question - Describe when you were part of a team where the group process and/or intended outcome failed. What did you learn?
I am sure you might have faced failures in your work/college life. As you know, various factors influence the outcome of a group process. In some occasions, you might have played a major role in the negative outcome of a team. You have to be honest with it. The admission committee is not expecting you to blame your team members or lack of synergy (the most overused word in essays and in b-schools) for the failure.
Failures can be due to
1) Lack of skills/Early stages of skill development
2) Overconfidence: Another factor that affects novices is overconfidence. Once we have picked up the basic skills for any course of action, we normally tend to be a little overconfident in tackling the toughest of the problems. There is a thin line between being confident and in being overconfident. On being overconfident, we tend to give lesser priority towards planning and in monitoring the tasks. In your essays, mention how the lack of planning had an impact on the team's output.
3) Not giving your best: You can mention events where your team began to lose momentum and started giving less than 100% (due to fatigue, overconfidence, lack of confidence,clash of personality etc). If you have been part of a sports team at college, you might have faced this situation. Expand on the factors/events that had created this challenge. Have you faced a similar situation at a later stage? What actions were you able to take this time around that had resulted in a positive outcome? Compare the two scenarios and the factors that had led to the team’s failure in the first case. Give your perspective on such events with a clear explanation on what you have learned.
4) Unforeseen circumstances: Even if you have planned and managed your team effectively, there can be series of events that can derail your team. Be very careful with using this factor in your essay. Any indications that suggest that you are finding an excuse for your failure can hit you back with your candidacy. Despite the "unforeseen circumstances", were you able to lead the team towards the common objective? If you have tried hard and failed then "unforeseen circumstances" will not be a deal breaker.
Looking for Sample Essays? Buy F1GMAT's Essay Guides
F1GMAT's Harvard MBA Essay Guide will teach you to introduce yourself:
1) With Assertiveness
2) By Articulating your Social Value
3) By Demonstrating your decision-making ability
Download Harvard MBA Essay Guide
F1GMAT's LBS MBA Essay Guide will:
1) Give you a detailed Analysis of London Business School MBA Curriculum for 2016
2) Describe how to match Pre-MBA experience with Post-MBA goals using two career paths - Finance and Consulting as examples
3) Show you how to select student clubs to match your post-MBA aspirations
Download LBS MBA Essay Guide
F1GMAT's Booth MBA Essay Guide will:
1) Demonstrate how to write about each pictorial representation
2) Recommend the best image to choose for your essay
3) Summarize the Chicago Booth MBA Program, so that you don't have to do extensive research for the essay
Download Booth MBA Essay Guide
F1GMAT's INSEAD MBA Essay Guide will:
1) Demonstrate with W-Pattern Narrative on how to use context and roles to describe your strengths and weaknesses
2) Show you how to use the IMPACT table to list your greatest achievements
3) Show you how to write about Failure without getting too defensive
4) Show you how to write about extra-curricular activities
Download Insead MBA Essay Guide
F1GMAT's MIT Sloan MBA Essay Guide will teach you:
1) Share the acceptance pattern in Sloan MBA
2) Show you how to shortlist successes that matter to MIT Sloan MBA Admissions team
3) Demonstrate with examples on how to create an IMPACT Table with Achievements, Impact, Success in Dollar terms, Impact Index and Total Value.
4) Show you how to differentiate between Managerial and Leadership roles
Download MIT Sloan MBA Essay Guide
F1GMAT's Kellogg MBA Essay Guide will:
1) Give you a detailed Analysis of Kellogg Full-time MBA Curriculum for 2016
2) Give you Four Examples on how to answer Essay 1 (Leadership)
3) Show you how to answer Essay 2 with a 3-step structure
Awareness -> Reflection -> Future with Kellogg MBA
Download Kellogg MBA Essay Guide
F1GMAT's NYU Stern MBA Essay Guide will:
1) Give you a detailed Analysis of NYU Stern MBA Curriculum for 2016
2) How to answer Essay 1 by mapping specializations to your post-MBA goals
3) Show you how to answer Essay 2 in six ways (Travelogue, Artist, Breaking Stereotype, Impact Oriented, Family Legacy and Infomercial)
Download NYU Stern MBA Essay Guide
F1GMAT's Stanford MBA Essay Guide will:
1) Give you a detailed Analysis of Stanford MBA Curriculum for 2016
2) Show you how to answer Essay B in three ways (as a Career Enhancer, as an Entrepreneur and as a Career Switcher)
3) How to use ‘The Big Five Model’ to evaluate your unique personality for Essay A.
4) Sample Essay for Essay A: What matters most to you, and why? (750 Words)
Note: Do not copy the sample essay (Use it only for inspiration)
Download Stanford MBA Essay Guide
F1GMAT's Wharton MBA Essay Guide will:
1) Give you a detailed Analysis of Wharton MBA Curriculum for 2016
2) Describe Four professional gains as Examples
3) Describe Four personal gains as Examples
Download Wharton MBA Essay Guide
11 Top MBA Essay Guides in 1 Book + Sample Essays + The Art of Storytelling + Leadership Narratives + Review Tips + Persuasion Strategies + The Secret to "unleashing" your unique voice
Only 1 in 900 gains admission to Harvard MBA program. If you write your essay focused only on your achievements, post-MBA goals, and your pre-MBA experience, you will be among the 899 rejected applicants.
ATTENTION is the secret ingredient. How will you get the attention of the essay reviewer?
You know why parables shared 1000 years ago are still shared among us?
Yes, the art of storytelling has won presidency for Obama, transformed Apple from an unknown start-up to a brand synonymous with Quality, and gained admission for the average MBA Applicant.
F1GMAT's Essay Guides will teach you how to transform your essay to an epic life journey with trials and tribulations that will move the admission team.
Winning MBA Essay Guide: Includes Essay Tips for
+ Chicago Booth
+ MIT Sloan
+ NYU Stern
+ London Business School
+ Sample Essays
+ The Art of Storytelling
+ Leadership Narratives
+ Review Tips
+ Persuasion Strategies
+ The Secret to "unleashing" your unique voice
+ How to write about your Strengths
+ How to write about your Weaknesses
Download the Winning MBA Essay Guide (2017 Entering Class)
Other F1GMAT Books you might enjoy
Stanford MBA Essay Guide
Harvard MBA Essay Guide
Wharton MBA Essay Guide
Kellogg MBA Essay Guide
MIT Sloan MBA Essay Guide
NYU Stern MBA Essay Guide
Insead MBA Essay Guide
MBA in Canada
MBA Admission Interview Guide
Essential GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide
Mastering GMAT Critical Reasoning
Winning MBA Essay Guide (Complete Essay Tips)